The course focuses on both concert and film music.
- the course is focused on how to write effectively for acoustical instruments, concert and film music
- analysis of scores of mainly music of the 19th and 20th century
- for film, focus on different styles (animation cue; action cue; comedy cue; horror cue; how to write a main title, melody assignment; soundalikes; trailer music, etc...)
- conforming cues, beat mapping, midi clean up
- how to deal with hybrid scores
- basic technology when using Logic pro x, shortcuts
- sample libraries and mocking up (spitfire, cinesamples, cinematic strings, las, sonokinetic, orchestra tools, etc..)
- basic synthesis (how to make your own sounds, logic synths), fm synthesis, granular, etc.. (omnisphere)
- basic info about plug ins (mixing; sound toys, waves, fab filter, ua, etc.. how to use a compressor, eq, panning etc… )
- making your own sample libraries in kontakt
- introduction to game music
- how the movie business works in Hollywood (pre production, production, post production, marketing; how to work with directors etc…)
All lessons are focused on what the student needs to develop a personal style. Students interested in developing the craft of film music, will receive assignments, cues will be discussed in group and during individual lessons.
Students will score a scene of max 1'30" by the end, which will be recorded with musicians, either a fully acoustical cue or a hybrid one, ore a sweeting session. Or there will be the opportunity to have a concert piece of max 5' performed during a student concert.
If you have no experience working with software:
- the course starts from scratch and is focused on concert music composers who want to broaden their musical abilities into film
- the course is focused on film composers who don't have experience writing for instruments, orchestration
You will need to bring your own computer, DAW and libraries/plug ins.
This is the basic software/hardware you will need if you want to develop film in the future, but it’s not mandatory for the course:
- Logic Pro X
- Kontakt https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/samplers/kontakt-6/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAtbnjBRDBARIsAO3zDl_5rmbtI7qY29b8Ye7VA2iK7iIDj78CmNZgBjDTcBdFmk-pAPvBR2gaAiDcEALw_wcB
- Albion one of a company named Spitfire: https://www.apple.com/logic-pro/ AND https://www.spitfireaudio.com/shop/a-z/albion-one/
- Focusrite audio interface: https://www.amazon.com/Focusrite-Scarlett-Audio-Interface-Tools/dp/B01E6T56CM/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1550784011&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=focusrite+audio+interfaces&psc=1
- Sony headphones: https://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR7506-Professional-Diaphragm-Headphone/dp/B000AJIF4E/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1550784046&sr=8-18&keywords=headphones
- Midi controller (make sure there is a modulation wheel): https://www.amazon.com/midiplus-AK490-MIDI-Keyboard-Controller-x/dp/B00VHKM72Q/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1550784111&sr=8-18&keywords=midi+controller+keyboard+m+audio
- Microphone is not that important for now
This workshop consists of two sessions of an hour. In the first session you get an overview of the possibilities how to improvise (connected with different cultural contexts) and the specific character of styles.
After a short break participants are triggered to improvise and coached.
The workshop focuses on pianists.
Participants can present their improvisation during the improvisation concert.